IAB Europe Virtual Programmatic Day H2 2020 – The European Programmatic Advertising Landscape Keynote – Wrap-Up
IAB Europe’s second Virtual Programmatic Day of 2020 took place on the 19th of November and what an insightful day it was. Featuring speakers from IAB Europe member companies and advertisers including BBC Global News, CNN, DoubleVerify, IndexExchange, Mediacom, Microsoft, PubMatic, Spotify, and more, the event was split into panel sessions to address and debate the hottest industry topics. From the programmatic landscape to delivering powerful creatives, no programmatic stone was left unturned.
Keynote Presentation: The European Programmatic Advertising Landscape
The event started with a keynote presentation from Daniel Knapp, Chief Economist, at IAB Europe, and David Goddard, Senior Director of Business Development from DoubleVerify as they explored the European Programmatic Landscape by sharing the results of the Attitudes Towards Programmatic 2020 Study and Programmatic Ad Spend 2019 report.
Watch the session recording here.
- IAB Europe’s Programmatic Market Sizing study revealed that Programmatic in Europe is a €23 billion market. Programmatic is now the default structure for digital advertising, with over two-thirds of digital ad spend now being programmatic.
- Emerging formats such as Connected-TV, Digital Out Of Home, and Audio are now also having features built in the programmatic infrastructure.
- 2020 has been a challenging year for the entire industry. Indications from Q3 and Q4 tell us that programmatic will continue to grow at approximately 5-6% year-on-year for the entirety of Europe.
- In terms of the Attitudes to Programmatic Study, advertisers cited a better use of data as the number one reason for increasing programmatic trading. This jumped to 80% in 2020, compared to 69% in 2019. For agencies, the majority cited targeting efficiencies as their number one driver for programmatic investment.
- Looking at the sell-side, we saw nearly half of publishers (48%) cite data as driving their programmatic investments and strategies, which shows a 10% increase over last year.
- The study also revealed that the in-housing trend appears to be old news. Advertisers with an in-house model have decreased from 38% (2019) to 20% (2020), as has the number of agencies with an in-house trading desk.