IAB Europe’s Guide to Improving Sustainable Business Decision-Making in the Digital Advertising Industry
IAB Europe has released an initial ‘Guide to Improving Sustainable Business Decision-Making’ to assist businesses in the digital advertising ecosystem navigate the ever-evolving landscape of sustainability and responsible business practices.
In recent times, terms such as ‘sustainable’, ‘green’, ‘net-zero’, and ‘carbon-neutral’ to describe technology, services, and products in the digital advertising industry have increased in traction making it increasingly important for businesses to understand the validity of such claims.
With the rise of greenwashing practices, where false or misleading claims are made regarding environmental efforts, it is crucial for businesses to exercise due diligence when evaluating sustainability claims and when looking to choose the partners they wish to work with. Government regulators are also intensifying their focus on combating such practices, and businesses need to ensure that their decisions align with genuine sustainability goals.
The guide was written by members of IAB Europe’s Sustainability Standards Committee and offers valuable insights and practical tips to help organisations make more informed choices when looking to achieve sustainability in the digital advertising industry.
The guide will be further supported by the development of more in-depth business reports and playbooks and sustainability scorecards that will enable market participants to consider ESG factors as well as economic benefits.
Key areas covered in the guide include tips and guidance on:
- Environmental considerations
- European legislation and guidelines
- Anti-greenwashing principles
- Social considerations
- Economic benefits of sustainable decision-making
Download the guide here and check out the press release here.
A big thank you to the following contributors of this guide:
- Adeline Gabay, Head of the Sustainability Committee, Alliance Digitale
- Anna-Lena Mikoteit-Zerb, Head of Digital, Bauer Advertising, & Lab Lead Sustainable Digital Advertising, BVDW
- Beatriz Bilfinger, Program Manager Digital Responsibility & New Work, BVDW
- Laura Wade, Global Head of Sustainability Strategy, EssenceMediacom
- Andrew Hayward-Wright, Programmatic & Sustainability Advisor, IAB Europe and Group Commercial Director Strategic Partnerships, SeenThis
- Audrey Danthony, Co-Founder & Chief Product Officer, IMPACT+
- Monica Dacres, Account Executive, Microsoft Advertising
- Steffen Johann-Hubert, Associate Director & Sustainability Lead, ProsiebenSat.1
- Anne Coghlan, Co-Founder & COO, Scope3