IAB Europe Guide to the Post Third-Party Cookie Era – Updated in March 2022
This Guide has been developed by experts from IAB Europe’s Programmatic Trading Committee (PTC) to prepare brands, agencies, publishers and tech intermediaries for the much-anticipated post third-party cookie advertising ecosystem. The first edition was released in May 2020. The second edition was released in February 2021.
This updated edition of the guide was released in March 2022. It povides brands, agencies, publishers, and tech intermediaries with all the information we need to know today to prepare for the impending post-third-party cookie era.
The updated edition of the guide provides the latest insights into the many alternative solutions that are being developed to replace third-party cookies when they are depleted in 2023, including context, identity, the use of telco data, and the Google Topics initiative, and expands into new challenge areas to answer questions around measurement and attribution.
Overall, the extensive Guide provides a comprehensive and complete deep-dive into the following key themes:
- The three main contributing factors to the depletion of third-party cookies
- The impact on stakeholder usage of proprietary platforms
- The impact on measurement and ad verification
- A detailed overview of the current non third-party post-cookie solutions
- Information on how stakeholders can contribute to the ongoing development of these solutions
This guide will continue to be updated to reflect the changes and developments within the industry.
Thank you to the following people who contributed to the Guide:
- Alex Berger, Senior Marketing Director, Buy-Side Products, Adform
- Xara McDonald, Solutions Engineer, Amobee
- David Goddard, Vice President Business Development, DoubleVerify
- Emmanuel Josserand, Sr Dir. Brand, Agency and Industry Relations, Freewheel
- Ben Geach, Consulting Lead, gTech Professional Services, Google
- Jamie Penkethman, Identity Prodct marketing, Index Exchange
- Elżbieta Kondzioła, Online Sales Director, LOVEMEDIA representing IAB Poland
- Łukasz Włodarczyk, VP of Programmatic Ecoystsem Growth & Innovation, RTB House, representing IAB Poland
- Ines Talavera de la Esperanza, Public Policy Officer, IAB Europe
- Ryan Afshar, Head of Publishers, UK, LiveRamp
- Tim Geenen, Managing Director, Addressibility Europe, LiveRamp
- Garrett McGrath, Senior Vice-President, product Management, Magnite
- Ferdinand David, VP, Product Policy & Compliance Lead, MediaMath
- James Kerr, Regional Counsel and Data Protection Officer, EMEA and APAC, MediaMath
- Tanya Field, Co-Founder & CPO, Novatiq
- Rémi Lemonnier, Co-Founder & President, Scibids
- Patrick Jähnichen, Global Director Product, Data and Machine learning, ShowHeroes Group
- Zuzanna Zarebinska, Strategy Analyst, Yieldbird
- Florian Lichtwald, Managing Director, Chief Business Officer, Zeotap