GDPR Guidance: Legitimate Interests Assessments (LIA) for Digital Advertising – March 2021
IAB Europe works to produce relevant guidance on the implementation of EU privacy and data protection rules applicable in the digital advertising sector. In March 2021, our Legal Committee has developed this practical GDPR Guide on legitimate interests assessments (LIAs) in collaboration with IAB UK.
This latest Guide complements our GDPR Guidance on Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIAs).
The Guide on legitimate interests assessments (LIAs) under the GDPR is intended for companies engaged in digital advertising in the EU. It aims to provide a standardised approach to conducting an LIA that takes into account the particularities of processing and the associated risks in the industry. In particular, the Guide covers the following:
- What an LIA is as defined in GDPR and its purpose
- When an LIA must be carried out
- How to go about an LIA, the process as set out in the law, and who is involved
- Guidance on how to carry out each of the stages of the three-part ‘balancing test’ in the context of typical digital advertising data types and processing activities
It’s important to keep in mind that while there is value to standardising this approach for the sector and this Guide can be a useful starting point, it remains critical to analyse each particular circumstance objectively and in an organisation’s own terms, on a case-by-case basis.
Accessing the guide:
- You can read our blog post for a full overview of the guide here.
- Download the guide here – IAB Europe GDPR Guidance – Legitimate Interests Assessments (LIA) for Digital Advertising – March 2021
If you have any questions about this work, please contact Filip Sedefov at email@example.com