IAB Europe response to the European Commission’s public consultation on the Intellectual Property Rights Enforcement Directive
On April 15th, the European Commission officially closed its public consultation on the Intellectual Property Rights Enforcement Directive, most commonly known as IPRED.
With this consultation, the Commission aims to seek views from a broad range of stakeholders in order to evaluate whether the Directive is still fit for purpose in the digital environment.
The consultation comes in the backdrop of the Digital Single Market strategy, in which the Commission committed to undertaking a set of targeted actions to foster the cross-border digital economy while ensuring a safe online environment for business operators and consumers. Among the envisaged actions is the modernisation of IPR enforcement, focusing on commercial-scale infringements (the ‘follow the money’ approach) and its cross-border applicability.
IAB Europe’s response in 6 points:
- IAB Europe is deeply committed to minimising the misplacement of ads on Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) infringing sites. This commitment is reflected in the recent report on Digital Advertising on Suspected Infringing Websites commissioned by the EU Observatory on Infringements of Intellectual Property Rights.
- IAB Europe members have been, over the years, extremely proactive in finding adequate solutions to tackle ad misplacement on IPR infringing sites.
- IAB Europe companies have been developing and implementing cutting-edge technologies to minimise the misplacement of branded ads on IPR infringing sites.
- National IABs and member companies have also been involved in a number of national-level initiatives to combat ad misplacement on IPR infringing sites. According to data collected by IAB Europe, in the past 2 years, such initiatives have been initiated in at least nine different European countries:the UK, Poland, France, Denmark, Slovakia, Italy, the Netherlands, Austria and Spain.
- To encourage the convergence of such initiatives at EU level, IAB Europe members have been firmly supporting, for the past 18 months, IAB Europe’s involvement in the Commission’s stakeholder dialogue on “follow the money.
- IAB Europe members are also committed to providing transparency to clients about the delivery of digital ad campaigns to their intended audience. Within IAB Europe, they are working together to provide the industry with a reliable and trusted framework for the converging digital and traditional media environment and improve quality in digital brand advertising.
For more insights, download the response below.